Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Fajitas -- Using Meat as a Condiment


Don't you love to say "fajitas" (fa HE tas, for those who don't speak Spanish)? I use chicken, but my daughter Kate uses chicken seitan strips for a vegan version.

There's something about fajitas that is just . . . fun, for want of a better word. Of course, it's the word itself, but maybe it's also about putting your food together by hand at the table, or  that fajitas remind me of restaurant food -- only better, if I do say so myself.

On top of that, fajitas keep our meat consumption under the USDA Dietary Guideline's recommended 4 oz., with just one chicken breast making a dish for two people (with a bit of leftovers for my lunch today).  The red pepper and onion slices stretch out the dish.

I usually buy a lime at the grocery store when I do my once-every-two-weeks shopping, just in case I feel like making fajitas. I also use limes for tortilla soup, but don't make that as often as I do fijitas.

When we have fijitas, we frequently also have roasted sweet potatoes and a green salad with orange segments, or sometimes sauteed kale.  Last night I had some red cabbage that a friend gave me, so I sliced a green apple to go with it and we had that instead of a salad. Occasionally I'll add one-half a can of black beans to the fajitas mixture as well.

Fajitas:
Cut the chicken breast into strips and marinate for a couple hours with one-half of an onion, thinly sliced, two minced cloves of garlic, some olive oil, juice of one or two limes,three or four dashes of Worcestershire sauce and a few shakes of chili powder.

Wrap the tortillas in aluminium foil and place in the oven for 10 minutes at 300 degrees.

Saute one red pepper in oil over medium heat.

Turn the heat up and add the chicken/onion mixture. Saute for awhile until everything is cooked.

Serve on warmed tortillas with sour cream and whole or chopped cilantro leaves.


1 comment:

  1. Yes, I do love to say fajitas. It's one of my favorite meals.

    ReplyDelete