Sunday, May 22, 2011

Enchiladas -- A Go-To Dinner When You Can't Decide What to Cook


Enchiladas are one of my go-to dinners. I always have a can of beans in the cupboard and tortillas in the freezer.

Last night I hadn't even gotten around to thawing the tortillas. I usually skip the step where the recipe says to dip the tortillas in the sauce before adding ingredients and rolling them up, but since the tortillas were frozen, I dipped them and voilĂ  -- they were instantly thawed.

Making enchiladas is somewhat time consuming, but I'm fine with that because I love to be in the kitchen cooking--radio tuned to the local NPR station. I have to say though that Sundays are problematic--I am not a fan of Prairie Home Companion, and would much rather be listening to This American Life or All Things Considered or Fresh Air or The Writers Almanac.

While the ingredients vary, my enchiladas always have beans, usually black, sometimes pinto, in either flour or corn tortillas. Mostly, the filling consists of  beans, chicken and cheese. Other times it's potatoes and cheese (when I have the time to cook a potato ahead of time). I frequently add canned corn and occasionally sliced olives or green onions.

The sauce varies too. Mostly I make a roux and add a can of chopped green chilies and a little salsa. Other times it's tomato sauce and chili powder or chipolte chiles in adobo sauce.

Here's my recipe:

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

Make a roux with 3 tbsp. flour and about 1 1/2 cup or so of chicken or vegetable stock. Add 1 can of chopped green chiles after the roux has thickened ( I like the Old El Paso brand) and about 1/4 cup of salsa.

Spoon 1/4 cup of sauce in the bottom of a glass baking dish.

Dip each tortilla in the sauce and add all or some of the following ingredients to each one: 2 tbsp. beans, 1 tbsp. canned corn, 1 tbsp. cheese, 2 tbsp. shredded chicken and a few chopped green onions or sliced olives. For directions on how to shred chicken, click  here.

Roll up each tortilla, one-by-one, and place seam side down in the pan. Pour the remaining sauce over the top to thoroughly drench the tortillas. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes. Cover with foil if you like the tops of your enchiladas to stay soft.

Top with sour cream and chopped cilantro.

Into the oven

Last night's salad: chopped orange, red cabbage and sesame-ginger salad dressing.

No comments:

Post a Comment