Friday, July 15, 2011

Curry with Sweet Potatoes and Tofu



I love to buy pineapples, but with just two of us here I sometimes get tired of it before it's gone. That's where curry comes into the picture. I got this recipe years ago from my sister and I make it sooner or later whenever I buy a pineapple. If you're needing a plant for the kitchen, save the top of the pineapple to root in a jar of water.

We usually have curry with chicken, but last night's version had tofu instead. I also use whatever vegetables I have on hand, cauliflower, red bell pepper, zucchini, green beans, spinach, etc. Last night we had sweet potatoes, broccoli and some dried tomatoes.

Here are the basics:

Cut a block of tofu in half and wrap the half you plan to use in a dish towel to press out excess water. I put a small cutting board over the tofu and put a heavy pan on top of that.

Cook 1 small, diced onion and 2 cloves of garlic in a large  frying pan.

Add 2 T of oil, 3 T of flour,  and 3 T of curry powder. Cook the mixture for a few minutes.

Add about 2 cups of heated chicken or vegetable stock in 1/3 cup increments. Cook and stir until thickened. If the mixture gets lumpy at any point, remove it from the heat and continue stirring until the lumps disappear. Add the liquid just a little bit at a time, stirring in completely after each addition.

Here are the sweet potatoes cooking away.

Stir in whatever vegetables you want to use. Last night we had diced sweet potatoes that I cooked for about 15 minutes before adding 4 broccoli stalks cut into pieces, some dried tomatoes I had on hand, and 1/2 a carton of tofu cut into pieces.

Serve the curry over rice and add condiments. The condiments are actually one of the things I like best about this recipe! We usually have raisins, peanuts, 1 sliced banana, and pineapple chunks. Spoon a dollop of plain yogurt and some chopped cilantro over the top.


No comments:

Post a Comment