Saturday, June 4, 2011

Simple Pleasures -- Cantaloupe with a Spritz of Lime Juice


I used to think that cantaloupe was something you had in chunks at breakfast, but years ago, a German friend served slices at dinner and I was hooked. They also provide a good reason to have a lime or two on hand.

We had Caesar salad with tofu croutons for dinner last night, with asparagus and these cantaloupe slices (along with panani buns from Pane d'Amore).

Ina Garten (Barefoot Contessa) likes to give taste previews with her food -- a sprig of mint on something that has mint or vanilla beans in yogurt or ice cream that have vanilla flavoring. I squeezed a bit of lime juice on the slices, so that's why I grated a bit of the lime zest on as well.

I frequently have cantaloupe when we have salads for dinner. They fit nicely on your plate, they provide a juicy and sweet counterpoint to a crunchy salad, and they remind me of our friend in Germany.

No comments:

Post a Comment