Thursday, June 30, 2011

Chocolate Pudding Cake – When You Need a Chocolate Fix

There are a million and two recipes out there for a hot fudge or pudding cake. I’ve been using mine for over 10 years and its origins are long gone. If you are feeling in need of a chocolate fix, this is definitely worth a try. I'll admit that it's not the most attractive dessert out there, but it works for us.

I like this cake because:
1)   It’s easy to make. I don’t even use a mixer, just a wooden spoon.

2)   It’s very chocolatey. If you like a more mild chocolate taste (but why would you??) you might not like this one.

3)   I used to think it was relatively healthy because it has no fat whatsoever. But I think the abundance of sugar negates that lack of butter. (I know -- some of you might consider the lack of butter to be a negative in itself!)

4)   It’s really good with strawberries (or raspberries) on the side.

Chocolate Pudding Cake

1 cup flour (I use whole-wheat)
¾ cup sugar
3 Tbsp. unsweetened cocoa
2 tsp. baking powder
¼ tsp. salt
½ cup milk (I use soy)
1 tsp. vanilla
1 Cup brown sugar
3 Tbsp. cocoa
1 ½ cup hot water

1.       Combine the first five ingredients and mix well.

2.       Stir in the milk and vanilla.

3.       Spread the mixture into a greased a 9 inch square baking pan

4.       Combine the brown sugar and 3 tbsp. of cocoa. Sprinkle it over the batter.

5.       Pour the hot water over the batter. Do not stir.


6.       Bake for 40 minutes in a preheated 350 degree oven.

7.       Go ahead and take the cake out after 40 minutes, even if it doesn’t look done, because by the time it does look done, it will be overdone.


No comments:

Post a Comment