Friday, March 18, 2011

Corned Beef and Cabbage for St. Patrick’s Day – sort of


Recent I saw a recipe for a corned beef sandwich topped with cole slaw in a magazine and thought it would be a perfect dish to celebrate the day. But when I got to the store, I just couldn’t do it. Corned beef is so . . .odd.   I’m not a fan.   I had to make a substitution.  After tasting a sample of chicken pastrami (ick!) and looking at the prosciutto (maybe?), I finally settled on roast beef.
I grilled the sandwiches and added big dollops of horseradish to give them a kick. Mashed sweet potatoes got the same kick of horseradish and, in honor of the day, lots of chopped parsley to give them a festive appeal.  We had coleslaw on the side because I thought it might slip out of the sandwiches, but next time I plan to add it directly. Beer, of course, although not Guinness.
Dessert was an apple pie without the top, glazed by some orange marmalade jam and topped with vanilla yogurt.  Yum!
Am I the only person who has a problem with corned beef?

2 comments:

  1. I stood in front of the meat counter, read all the ingredients for "corned beef" and backed away. I realize that my beloved reuben sandwich is also going to be only a memory. Instead we had miso soup with enoki mushrooms and lots of GREEN seaweed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoa--seaweed! I actually do love a reuben--what's not to love with grilling and cheese--but I can't eat corned beef justsitting on a plate.

    ReplyDelete